Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Florence - The Duomo and more wandering

Monday morning and I am excited to see David, Steph, Al and Chris.  David and Steph are coming from Greece and Al and Chris from Normandy and Venice.  We haven't seen them since the wedding so have lots to catch up on.  I head down to the market to get some fresh bread, cheese and meat for a quick snack before we head out to check out Florence.  What great timing as I walk back from the market their taxi is just pulling up to our apartment door.  Yes I teared up, imagine my David a married man and looking very happy and well rested.  :)
First stop was the Piazza della Signoria, for a glass of wine.  There is a huge construction project going on to repair the "Fountain of Neptune", peeking behind the screens gave us an idea of the size, may have to return to see it when it is finished.  In the centre of the courtyard right alongside all these ancient pieces is a piece of modern art, which to me looks like a gigantic piece of gelato.  
This is called "Big Clay 4", lots of controversy over putting it up in Palazzo Vecchio home to so many historical works of art.  Too me it looks like a large blob of gelato.   

 This is supposedly the best gelato in Florence. We had to give it a try.  No complaints from any of us.
 The Florence Duomo - the Santa Maria del Fiore is visible from many parts of Florence, Jim and I had decided to wait to see it with everyone else.  Impressive from a distance, awestruck close up.    The building is on top of the 7th century Church of Santa Reparata and the construction for the Duomo started in the 13th century.  It took them 2 centuries to figure out how to build the actual dome.

When I return from every holiday I have a "regret".  In Florence it was "why didn't I climb these 463 stairs".  The sign saying don't even think of it if you suffer from claustrophobia, vertigo, have a heart condition kinda turned me off.  And yes now I regret it.  The door below is the entrance to those 463 steps up and 463 back down.  The lovely things about these old cities are there aren't any skyscrapers so I gather the view from the top is amazing.  Next time :) (I better not wait too long)

The clock in this picture was built in 1443.  It is a 24 hour clock where the 24th hour of the day ended at sunset.  Not sure how that worked between the seasons.  And in 2017 it is still keeping time.  




Imagine looking out your bedroom window, or walking to work and seeing the Duomo looking down on you every day.





While in Florence you must try the famous Chianina beef with a glass of Chianti.  David and Steph met a couple in Greece who recommended that we try Giostra for the best food in Florence.  It was amazing. 

After dinner a nice walk back along the Ponte Vecchio, the jewelry was competing with the stars. 







No comments:

Post a Comment