Sunday, April 15, 2018

Beautiful Ferragudo in the Algarve


Crazy how the world has changed.  10 years ago if you were going travelling you went to the library or the book store and bought the Fodors Travel Guide book.  I discovered Ferragudo and its beautiful fort on an instagram post.  As soon as we booked Portugal, I started following Algarve Tourism, etc and sure enough this particular day this beautiful Fort was posted.  It was automatically added as a day trip and what a beautiful day trip it was, only 40 minutes from where we were staying and an easy drive on the main highway.





There was, of course, a beautiful square full of wonderful restaurants.  Again you could get anything you asked for.  Today I had an eggplant pizza, I knew I was going to do lots of walking so wanted some good old carbs in my system.  At the table next to us were a couple of Canadians from Niagara Falls who come for 2 months every year.  They have a 2 bedroom apartment overlooking the Fort and the river.  They have totally convinced us to come back for at least a month.  They were saying it is so inexpensive, their apartment costs them $800 for the month.  HELLO that's my heating bill in Canada in the winter.  :)


All of these little towns still have a successful fishing industry.  When they say fresh fish in the Algarve they mean fresh fish.  One of the restaurants had their customary fresh catch section and had "reserved" signs on 2 of them.  I wish I liked fish more, well I really wish my tummy liked fish more.  If we do manage to ever come for a month a fresh fish (preferably without head) will be on my plate to try again.



This boat looks like it was extremely successful with its haul today.  
After lunch we headed down to the beach for a walk and a view of the Fort.  Oh my the beach is amazing, I have such a fascination with caves and holes going through rocks (it's OK I didn't post all my pictures).  We are finally starting to see the big cliffs of the Algarve.  
The Fort of Sao Joao do Arade sits on the Arade river protecting Ferragudo from the pirates roaming the Atlantic Ocean :).  Now it is a private residence and they were not giving tours out.  Because it was built on solid rock it had no damage from the 1755 earthquake and looks as strong as a rock still.



The view above looks back towards Ferragudo and its sister town Portimao.



Nothing better on a long beach walk then to have a place to stop and try the local wine.  Walking in sand is hard work.
Needless to say we come to the end of the beach and there is this huge cliff, looks like we may have to turn back.  I happen to notice a set of steps.  Jim says NO, they are probably private as he looks up at the cliff.  Well off I go, nope they aren't private.  The Algarve does a great job of hikes and walks on their beaches and cliffs.  So off we go.  The views were magnificient and around the bend is a beautiful lighthouse.


Wouldn't it be lovely to rent one of these villas.  Lotto Max is calling my name.

Below is the view looking over the Arade river at Portimao.  Beautiful as well, reminded me of Miami Beach with cliffs.

It was tempting to keep going to the lighthouse, but that glass of red was calling our names.
Instead of the lighthouse walk, we headed down the steps to the pier at the entrance to the harbour.  Lots of steps, and what goes down has to go back up.  It was well worth it.

"The Old Man and the Sea"

Yes we had to walk all the way back up these steps.  Couldn't you picture having a glass of wine up there as the sunset.  On my list for next year.  

When you looked back at Ferragudo you could see the hills in the background.


As much as I was looking forward to that little glass of vino, I must admit my feet were really happy about going in the water.  I love the water, but can still be a little nervous, so there I am with this bandage on the top of my foot, as I am paddling in the water, the bandage came lose and started flapping against my skin, I skedaddled out of there so fast. 2 inches of water  LOL.  


No comments:

Post a Comment