Friday, October 28, 2016

The Louvre - so much history

Today is Louvre day, after yesterday's walk, I actually pop on my "hiking" shoes.  These cobblestone streets are killers.  Until 1682 the Louvre housed the Royal Family, and then under Louis XIV he moved the royal court to Versailles.  The building was originally built in the 12th century and it is only fitting that all these marvelous pieces of art are housed in an architectural piece of art.  I found the building itself as interesting as the contents.  LOL  Not sure I should classify the Mona Lisa as a "content".    



 The grounds leading up to the Louvre are full of ancient and modern works of art as well as beautiful gardens, lots of people and street vendors everywhere.
Yes I bought a little Eiffel Tower to hang on my Christmas Tree this year.  :)





A beautiful bride and groom having their pictures taken.  






 
This is the entrance to the Louvre, the stairwell in the left hand picture has no cylinder.  The same stairwell on the right hand picture shows the elevator which is in the cylinder which disappears into the ground when it goes down.  So cooooooool !!!!!!!!!!

Sorry I know this is probably sacrilege, but I can't look at these statutes without thinking "shrinkage".
It is actually "Satyres en Atlante Rome Louvre - Four Statues Depicting Omphaloskepsis" ('Navel-Gazing')  I gather it is good for our soul to spend time gazing at our navels.  




To think I wouldn't have even known there was a pyramid of glass both above the ground and below the ground if I hadn't read the Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons.  



 
This is Reni's portrayal of David and Golaith.  Definitely not the manly muscle bound David I was expecting.  

 

How appropriate that Libra (Lynne) and Taurus (Jim) were directly facing each other across this great hall.  Just waiting for the dancing to start :)

Not knowing very much about art (make that nothing) I tended to veer towards the ones that were a wee bit strange.  Hence the collection of paintings below:
  


If there was a follow up to this picture I can just picture the little girl reaching up to touch his nose.  


This is a painting of Salome receiving the head of John the Baptist by Luini
The Italians of this age seemed to like painting pictures of heads.  

I did find a Raphael


The Winged Victory of Samothrace dates back to 220BC and is at the top of a stairway.  I gather this is the original.  Very impressive.  

So about now you are saying Lynne where is the Mona Lisa.  I saved her for last.  :)


 This was me trying to get a picture of the Mona Lisa.  The crowd was 10 deep and not moving, not even looking at the picture just trying to get a selfie.  I was very surprised that they allowed selfie sticks.  People were getting clunked on the head all the time.  Remember my Paris lament, thank goodness it isn't July.


Jim being the good hockey player that he is and a fair bit taller than the rest of the crowd, put elbows up, took my camera and came up with this beautiful picture.  That's not a ghost in the bottom, she is behind glass so that is a reflection of the people in the front.  I never did get that close.  LOL

There is a lovely little cafe/restaurant along the right hand side wall, we had a lovely latte there while watching everyone scurry out of the rain.  It seems like everywhere I go, I say I will have to go back well the Louvre is definitely back on the list.  After all our walking I realized we saw the great Italian painters but never saw the French Impressionists.  Luckily I at least saw Monet in Giverney.


This turned out to be our favourite restaurant and we just found it by accident.  It was up a wee alley from the Louvre.  When you first look at it, it doesn't seem like much.  Luckily my bladder was calling so I went inside and there was this amazing pub with fine dining food and absolutely packed.  They had a curtain across the door so you can't peek inside.  It was definitely a locals place, as most of the people were in suits or quite dressy.  Who know who we may have been sitting beside.  :)  The meal was amazing and the wine was glorious.  

No comments:

Post a Comment