This is one of our favourites soups and is from the "The Rest of the Best and more" one of my favourite Best of Bridge Books.
1 large butternut squash
1 medium onion
1 leek, white portion only
2 tbsp butter
8 cups chicken broth (if it is a smaller squash then don't add as much chicken broth)
1 apple, peeled, cored and chopped
1 Bay Leaf
1 tsp sugar
salt & freshly ground pepper
8 oz brie cheese
Chopped onion and carrots
- Cut squash in half lengthwise and remove seeds. Place cut-side down on pan and bake at 350F until tender, about 45 minutes (or microwave cut-side down in a small amount of water, covered, about 10 minutes).
- Chop carrot, onion and leek into 1 pieces and place in a large pot.
- Gently saute in butter, do not brown.
- Mash squash and add to vegetables.
- Add broth and bring to a boil.
- Add apples, bay leaf and sugar, simmer, uncovered for 40 minutes.
- Remove bay leave and puree soup in batches.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Slice of rind of brie and cut brie into 1/2 pieces Place cheese in bottom of soup bowls and fill with hot soup.
- Garnish with chives and serve. Ooops didn't have chives, but I do love thyme :)
One of my favourite soups served with my favourite wholewheat flax seed bread.
One of the best presents Jim has ever received from me was a bread machine. He now gets fresh pizza dough every Friday and fresh bread every Saturday. This recipe is from the "300 Best Canadian Bread Machine Recipes" by Donna Washburn & Heather Butt.
Whole Wheat Flaxseed Bread
For a 1.5 lb loaf
1-1/4 cups water
1/4 cup skim milk power
1-1/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp packed brown sugar
2 tbsp vegetable oil
3 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup flaxseed, cracked
1 tsp bread machine or instant yeast.
Put all the ingredients in the bread machine order they are given.
Select Whole Wheat Cycle
I also do light crust.
And wait for the amazing aroma of fresh baked bread to fill your house. How did they manage without bread machines