Saturday, December 10, 2016

Annual BFFs Christmas Baking Day

Christmas baking for me started when I had children.  Lots of mess, lots of sugar, lots of giggles and nothing perfect, but the love made everything taste delish.  The kids grew up, but still had their sweet tooth, but didn't have the time to bake.  The love of baking never left me, even though I'm still not going to win any prizes for my presentation.  

A few years ago I decided I want the giggles back in my baking and the invitation went out to my bffs.  When I told them we could drink wine in the afternoon, they all jumped on board. 

Dinner is kept simple, some meatballs simmering away and a cheese manicotti just in case there isn't enough spaghetti.  (Jim and I now have leftovers for Saturday).  



Over the years we have realized that even with my double ovens we weren't going to get everything done in time, so I prepare mine ahead of time, that way I can concentrate on keeping the wine glass filled and popping the prosecco.  



Lindsey is the first to arrive and is more than happy to get started, so she can relax.  This year she premade her millionaire's shortbread (which is a mandatory recipe), but loving to bake :) she also made us some snickerdoodles.  Is there anything better than the smell of cinnamon in your kitchen.  If I decide the sell the house I am going to bake these cookies before the open house.  





 Cathy soon joined in making an imperial cheese cookie/biscuit.  It was hard not to eat them as they came out of the oven.  This is the first year they have their new winter home in Florida and Cathy was adamant about making it home for the baking day.  She missed us and we missed her.  

 Sharon arrived and the kitchen started to get hopping.  The knive was chopping up toblerone bars for her Toberlone Shortbread.  


Dale opted to follow the advance baking plan and showed up with her stash, which we all promptly put in our boxes.  Maryjo meanwhile had to relax while she waited for the kitchen aid and the counter top to open up.  



 Maryjo is making her famous chocolate chip cookies with colourful M&M's for Christmas.  
 Our stash, the kids are waiting for these pictures.  


Relief we survived, no burns, no cuts, no spilled wine (yet), but the night is young.  

 It's 6:30 and the guys are arriving, a quick hello to the ladies and into the family room to relax with a drink and discuss their beloved leafs, golf, TFC, Raptors, etc.  



 Dinner is served, thanks to the ladies for their contributions.  


 This is the 2nd time a baking day has fallen on Doug's birthday.  With all our cookies, let's add a cake in for dessert.  LOL.  








Merry Christmas everyone.  The greatest gift in my life is in the hearts of my family and my loving friends.  Thank you for being a part of my life and sharing so many wonderful times.  


Recipes

M&M Chocolate Chip Cookies
Imperial Cheese Biscuits
Cranberry Squares

Granma Aldene's Shortbread
 1 cup butter
1/2 cup fruit sugar 
1-1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup rice flour
Cream butter well. Blend in sugar  creaming  thoroughly. Slowly add flours and blend until smooth.  Press into a ball and knead lightly on floured board until smooth. 
Pat dough into ungreased 9 inch pan
Prick all over with a fork 
Bake 275  about 45 mins 
 Cut. When cool

Millionaire Shortbread


2 cups flour
4 tbsp brown sugar
1 cup butter(melted)
Mix together and press into bottom of 9 x 13 pan. Bake @ 350 for 20 min.

In a pot put:
1 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
4 tbsp corn syrup
1 can Eagle Brand condensed milk
Bring to a boil and boil for 5 minutes stirring constantly. Pour over crust immediately.
When cooled, melt a large Jersey milk chocolate bar over low heat and spread over bar. Chill and cut into small squares...serve cold
Keep frozen until serving.





No comments:

Post a Comment