Thursday, December 1, 2016

I love having my Mom in the kitchen with me :)


































For people who know me that probably sounds like a pretty strange title, seeing as my mom passed away January 1, 2003.  We had a great Christmas that year, the last time my mom and dad and both brothers were all together.

Family gatherings for me were always so special, being the youngest with the youngest children, I didn't want to give up on any traditions.  But as the family kept growing it became more and more difficult to get everyone together.

This weekend we are hosting a "Meet and Greet" for David and Stephanie's Wedding Party and Parents.  And this is when my "Mom" starts helping me in the kitchen.  After she passed away and then after my mother-in-law passed away I started trying to have one of my favourite dishes of theirs at whatever event it is I am hosting.

So this afternoon my mom and I have been making a "cheese and onion pie".  I felt her all around me, I am sure doubled over in laughter as I tried to make my pie pastry from scratch from her Good Houskeeping Cookbook (she received one as a wedding present and so did I :).  Just out of curiosity when we switched to metric, did they make a tablespoon smaller :).  I have yet to make a pastry that says to use 5 to 6 tablespoons of water and have it be enough.  Definitely more like 8 to 10 for me.

This pastry recipe has 3 ingredients in it and even with all my fretting, my mom's guiding hand helped it turn out pretty good.

  •  2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup shortening
  • and the dreaded 5 to 6 tablespoons cold water
  1. Cut the shortening into the flour to make coarse crumbs
  2. Sprinkle in the water, one tablespoon at a time until it is just moist enough to hold together, if that doesn't work, stop counting and keep adding water :)
The cheese and onion part of it is easy, 4 chopped onions, salt and pepper and 2 to 3 cups of a good old cheddar cheese.  Spread the above on the bottom of the pie and cover with the top :).  Brush with an egg wash and bake at 425 for about 30 to 40 minutes.  

 




I do wish I could have a scented candle with the smell of fresh pastry cooking.  

I love cooking, baking, being in the kitchen but it is so much more enjoyable with company.  Between my kids, husband and friends some of my best memories are in my kitchen and that's before we start eating.  

Thanks Mom for all your help today, hope you enjoy our party on Saturday :), bring some friends !!!!  Looking forward to your visit at our next gathering.

lol writing a blog was not on my "to do list".  Back to vacuuming.  








No comments:

Post a Comment